Garrett represents owners, contractors, construction managers, subcontractors, and suppliers in a wide variety of complex construction litigation matters, including contract disputes, construction defect claims, change order disputes, mechanics’ lien claims, and payment bond claims. In addition to construction law, his legal practice includes business law, commercial litigation, real estate law, and estate planning.
Garrett is a principled advocate who understands that credibility—a key component of effective persuasion—is enhanced by civility and respect. He has litigated hundreds of cases involving millions of dollars in exposure, including bet-the-company cases. His clients range from small local shops to large national companies. He takes a measured approach to litigation, evaluating the potential benefits and risks of each decision to ensure that resources are invested wisely. His advice and counsel is guided, without exception, by the best interests of each client.
Garrett Walker has exceptional skills as an attorney in general, and as a litigation attorney in particular. He has a breadth of experience in many areas of law practice, including construction law, contract law, tort law, and insurance law. He has a keen mind, and his analytical and writing abilities are exceptional. His work product is of the highest quality. He is highly professional, an attorney of integrity, and a pleasure to work with and be around.” - Anonymous Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review by a Partner
Garrett is a terrific attorney. He is a fierce advocate for his clients while at the same time a cordial and cooperative colleague.” - Anonymous Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review by a Partner
Garrett clerked for me prior to being admitted to the Bar. We have stayed in contact since then. We have litigated construction lawsuits against one another. He is an attorney that represents his client's position to his utmost best. I would not hesitate to have him represent me or any of my clients. I trust his judgment and legal analysis.” - Anonymous Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review by a Managing Partner
I have worked with Garrett A. Walker as an opposing counsel. He knows his stuff and fights hard for his clients. He is highly ethical.” - Anonymous Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review by a Managing Partner
Mr. Walker is an excellent attorney. He has very strong analytical skills and is a thoughtful and careful lawyer.” - Anonymous Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review by a Senior Associate
- Defended a service station accused of failing to properly conduct a vehicle safety inspection against a $20,000,000 lawsuit.
- Procured a $9,000,000 judgment for a pipeline contractor after a jury found that the owner breached its contract.
- Successfully defended a construction manager facing a $3,000,000 construction defect claim stemming from water intrusion on a townhome project.
- Procured advantageous settlements for subcontractors and suppliers in hundreds of construction lien and payment bond cases resulting in payments ranging from $5,000 to $2,000,000.
Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School, J.D., 2009
- cum laude
- BYU Law Review, 2007-2009
- Executive Editor, 2008-2009
Utah State University, B.S., Accounting, 2006
- cum laude
- Scholarship Recipient
- Mountain States Super Lawyers® Rising Stars
- Construction Litigation, 2018-2019
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Peer Rated for Highest Level of Ethics and Professional Excellence, 2017-2019
- “Utah Construction Contracts, Liens & Bonds,” Utah Roofing Contractors Association, November 2017
- “Utah Construction Liens & Bonds,” Client Seminar, November 2017
- “Utah Construction Contracts,” Utah Masonry Council, October 2017
- “Utah Business Industry Roundtable – Building & Construction,” Utah Business Magazine Industry Roundtable Participant, December 2016
- “Utah Business Industry Roundtable – Building & Construction,” Utah Business Magazine Industry Roundtable Participant, December 2015
- “The Affordable Care Act: Should Your Business Pay or Play?,” Utah State Bar Construction Law Section, August 2013
- “A Legal Overview of the Affordable Care Act for Businesses,” Davis County Chamber of Commerce: Business & Economic Summit, March 2013
- “Unlawful Conduct in Utah is Not a Strict Liability Offense,” Utah Bar Journal, Jan/Feb 2018
- “The Dos and Don’ts of Drug Testing in Utah,” Holland & Hart Construction Law Blog, April 2017
- “Leveraging Construction Liens,” Utah Construction and Design Magazine, February 2017
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- Utah State Bar Construction Law Section
- Chair, 2019-2020
- Chair-Elect, 2018-2019
- Secretary, 2017-2018
- Intermountain Electrical Association
- Director, 2018
- Utah Masonry Council
- Executive Director, 2018
- Utah Plumbing & Heating Contractors Association
- Member, 2017-2018
- Utah Roofing Contractors Association
- Member, 2017-2018
- Wealth Counsel
- Member, 2017-2019